The first Circle was organized May 6, 1927, and named Founders Circle, with Mrs. John Ringling as its first President. Bignonia Circle was organized within the year and Indian Beach circle in 1932. Nov. 14, 1933, the Federated Circles of the Garden Club of Sarasota was formed with five circles joining the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs and National Council of State Garden Clubs. Many more Circles were formed and in 1947 the name changed to the Sarasota Garden Club and became incorporated in 1955. Over the years, Circles grew and waned in number from 5 to 12. In 2008, the members voted to reorganize the Club into a non-Circle Club run by a 19 member Board of Directors.
Over the years the Sarasota Garden Club has undertaken many projects of civic beautification and has been involved with the community in awareness of environmental concerns. The Club has promoted knowledge of floral arts, gardening, conservation and the preservation of our fragile ecology.